Robert Panas is a research engineer at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and is a member of the Center for Micro-Nano Technologies in the Materials Engineering Division. He joined LLNL in 2013 after graduating from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Robert leads precision micro/nano efforts focused on applying the principles of determinism to micro/nano design, manufacturing, and assembly to create new precision technologies. He has led the development of an uncertainty-based analysis of X-ray CT, as well as ongoing work on micromechanical logic and a high speed, large range precision micromirror array for solid-state beamsteering. Dr. Panas is a National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) fellow, a member of the American Society for Precision Engineering (ASPE) since 2009, recently finished his tenure on the board of directors of ASPE, and is the former chair of the ASPE Micro-Nano Technical Leadership Committee. He has 34 patents and 87 papers published and submitted.
Robert’s interests include precision engineering, MOEMS, additive micromanufacturing, optics, X-ray metrology, uncertainty analysis, compliant mechanism design, and high-speed digital control.
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2013
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007
B.S., Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007
- Panas, R.M., Sun, F., Bekker, L., and Hopkins, J.B., “Using Cross-Pivot Flexures to Generate Improved Kinematically Equivalent Flexure Systems,” Precision Engineering, Volume 72, pp 237-249, November 2021.
- Panas, R.M., Cuadra, J.A., Mohan, K.A., and Morales R., “A Systems Approach to Estimating Uncertainty in X-Ray Radiographic Metrology,” ASME Journal of Micro- and Nano-Manufacturing, Volume 9, Issue 1, pp 010901: 1-16, March 2021.
- Panas, R.M. and Culpepper, M.L., “Fabrication of 6DOF Hexflex Positioner with Integrated Strain Sensing using Non-Lithographically-Based Microfabrication,” ASME Journal of Micro- and Nano-Manufacturing, Volume 9, Issue 1, pp 010902: 1-13, March 2021.
- Hopkins, J. B., Panas, R. M., and Song, Y., and White C. D., "A High-speed Large-range Tip-tilt-piston Micromirror Array," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Volume: 26, Issue: 1, September 2016, pp 196-205.
- Panas, R.M., and Hopkins, J.B., “Eliminating Underconstraint in Double-Parallelogram Flexure Mechanisms,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Volume: 137, Issue: 9, Sept 2015, pp. 092301.
- Panas, R.M., Cullinan, M.A., and Culpepper, M.L., “Design of Piezoresistive-based MEMS Sensor Systems for Precision Microsystems,” Precision Engineering, Volume: 36, Issue: 1, January 2012, pp. 44-54.
Honors and awards include: Pi Tau Sigma, Tau Beta Pi, Phi Beta Kappa, Sigma Pi Sigma, National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (NDSEG), Hertz Fellowship Finalist, MIT Rabinowicz Award, LLNL IPO Record of Invention Award, Engineering Directorate award for LDA development 2016, LLNL award for mentoring 2017, Engineering Directorate award for publications 2017, Engineering Directorate award for LDA DoD program development 2017, 1st place National Lab Accelerator Pitch Event 2017, LLNL DDS&T Excellence in Publication Award 2018, Engineering Directorate award for LDA DoD program development 2018, Engineering Directorate award for publications 2018, Editors’ Choice paper “A review of micromirror arrays” Precision Engineering 2019, Global Security Silver Award for monolithic optic bearing 2021, Engineering Directorate award for LDA DoD program development 2021, Engineering Directorate award for publications 2021.