My research focuses on the development of new processes for the additive manufacturing of metals and understanding gas-solid reactions driven by electron, laser, and ion beams. I have particular interest in the design and implementation of in situ characterization techniques using high-speed optical imaging, electron microscopy, photoluminescence, and various synchrotron X-ray capabilities to probe the fundamental mechanisms underlying 3D printing and nanofabrication processes. A significant portion of my scientific research has been in collaboration with industrial partners to understand the science underpinning materials processing techniques and incorporating these findings into new technologies.
- Researchers measure electron emission to improve understanding of laser-based metal 3D printing
- Lab study of droplet dynamics advances 3D printing
- Additive manufacturing caught on camera
- New multibeam metal 3D printer testbed to understand laser-material interactions
- LLNL researchers use X-ray imaging experiments to probe metal 3D printing process
Ph.D., Physics, University of Technology Sydney, 2015
B.S., Nanotechnology (Honors), University of Technology Sydney, 2006
- Laser-metal interaction dynamics during additive manufacturing resolved by detection of thermally induced electron emission, P. J. DePond, J. C. Fuller, S. A. Khairallah, J. R. Angus, G. Guss, M. J. Matthews and A. A. Martin, Communications Materials, 1, 92 (2020).
- Controlling interdependent meso-nanosecond dynamics and defect generation in metal 3D printing, S. A. Khairallah, A. A. Martin, J. R. I. Lee, G. Guss, N. P. Calta, J. A. Hammons, M. H. Nielsen, K. Chaput, E. Schwalbach, M. N. Shah, M. G. Chapman, T. M. Willey, A. M. Rubenchik, A. T. Anderson, Y. M. Wang, M. J. Matthews and W. E. King, Science, 368 (6491), 660-665 (2020).
- Formation of high purity uranium via laser induced thermal decomposition of uranium nitride, B. C. Childs, A. A. Martin, A. Perron, E. E. Moore, Y. Idell, T. Wook Heo, D. L. Rosas, C. Schaefer-Cuellar, R. L. Stillwell, P. Soderlind, A. Landa, K. S. Holliday and J. R. Jeffries, Materials & Design, 192, 108706 (2020).
- Dynamics of pore formation during laser powder bed fusion additive manufacturing, A. A. Martin, N. P. Calta, S. A. Khairallah, J. Wang, P. J. Depond, A. Y. Fong, V. Thampy, G. M. Guss, A. M. Kiss, K. H. Stone, C. J. Tassone, J.a Nelson Weker, M. F. Toney, T. van Buuren and M. J. Matthews, Nature Communications, 10 (1), 1987 (2019).
- Ultrafast dynamics of laser-metal interactions in additive manufacturing alloys captured by in situ X-ray imaging, A. A. Martin, N. P. Calta, J. A. Hammons, S. A. Khairallah, M. H. Nielsen, R. M. Shuttlesworth, N. Sinclair, M. J. Matthews, J. R. Jeffries, T. M. Willey, J. R.I. Lee, Materials Today Advances, 1, 100002 (2019).
- An instrument for in situ time resolved X-ray imaging and diffraction of laser powder bed fusion additive manufacturing processes, N. P. Calta, J. Wang, A. M. Kiss, A. A. Martin, P. J. Depond, G. M. Guss, V. Thampy, A. Y. Fong, J. Nelson Weker, K. H. Stone, C. J. Tassone, M. J. Kramer, M. F. Toney, A. Van Buuren, M. J. Matthews, Review of Scientific Instruments, 89 (5), 055101 (2018).
- Dynamic pattern formation in electron-beam-induced etching, A. A. Martin, A. Bahm, J. Bishop, I. Aharonovich and M. Toth, Physical Review Letters, 115 (25), 255501 (2015).
- Maskless milling of diamond by a focused oxygen ion beam, A. A. Martin, S. Randolph, A. Botman, M. Toth and I. Aharonovich, Scientific Reports, 5, 8958 (2015).
- Subtractive 3D printing of optically active diamond structures, A. A. Martin, M. Toth and I. Aharonovich, Scientific Reports, 4, 5022 (2014).
- Role of activated chemisorption in gas-mediated electron beam induced deposition, J. Bishop, C. Lobo, A. A. Martin, M. Ford, M. R. Phillips and M. Toth, Physical Review Letters, 109 (14), 146103 (2012).
- Deputy Director for Science and Technology Excellence in Publication Award, 2020
- Physical and Life Sciences Directorate Award, Excellence in Publication in Science, 2020
- Physical and Life Sciences Directorate Award, Excellence in Publication in Science, 2019
- Materials Science Division Spot Award, Implementation of new Plasma-FIB capability, 2019
- Chancellor’s List for Outstanding PhD Thesis, University of Technology, Sydney, Australia, 2016
- John Stocker Postgraduate Scholarship, Science and Industry Endowment Fund, Australia, 2012