As “CAN” providing food to customers in an efficient, secure, and reliable way, Can Huang is exploring advanced approaches to deliver electricity to customers with high efficiency, security, reliability, and resilience.
Can Huang is a Research Engineer of the Energy Delivery and Utilization Group in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). His current research focuses on critical energy infrastructure resilience, energy systems monitoring and control, high-fidelity modeling and simulation, data analytics and event detection, and hardware design. He is currently working on several R&D projects on grid resilience and leading (PI) a DOE AGM project on the development of grid data management and analytics tools.
Can has over ten years of professional experience in power and energy engineering (IEEE Senior Member). Before joining LLNL, Can worked as an Electrical Engineer at China Electric Power Research Institute from 2011 to 2012, and then received his Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Tennessee - Knoxville in 2016. He has research experience on 1) power system measurement, protection, control, and communication, 2) power system operation and planning, 3) renewable energy systems, and 4) microgrid and distributed energy resources. He also has hands-on experience in developing Digital Simulator and HIL Testbed using LabVIEW and FPGA.
• Tao Ding, Cheng Li, Can Huang, Yongheng Yang, Fangxing Li, and Frede Blaabjerg, "A hierarchical modeling for reactive power optimization with joint transmission and distribution networks by curve fitting," IEEE Systems Journal, in Press.
• Tao Ding, Kai Sun, Can Huang, Zhaohong Bie, and Fangxing Li, "Mixed integer linear programming-based splitting strategies for power system islanding operation considering network connectivity," IEEE Systems Journal, in Press.
• Cheng Li, Tao Ding, Xiyuan Liu, and Can Huang, "An electric vehicle routing optimization model with hybrid plug-in and wireless charging systems," IEEE Access, vol. 6, pp. 27569-27578, 2018.
• Can Huang, Fangxing Li, Dao Zhou, Jiahui Guo, Zhuohong Pan, Yong Liu, and Yilu Liu, “Data quality issues for synchrophasor applications Part I: A review,” Journal of Modern Power System and Clean Energy, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 342–352, July 2016.
• Can Huang, Fangxing Li, Lingwei Zhan, Yao Xu, Qinran Hu, Dao Zhou, and Yilu Liu, “Data quality issues for synchrophasor applications Part II: Problem formulation and potential solutions,” Journal of Modern Power System and Clean Energy, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 353–361, July 2016.
• Can Huang, Fangxing Li, Tao Ding, Yuming Jiang, Jiahui Guo, and Yilu Liu "A bounded model of the communication delay for system integrity protection systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 1921-1933, Aug. 2016.
• Dao Zhou, Jiahui Guo, Ye Zhang, Jidong Chai, Hesen Liu, Can Huang, and Yilu Liu, "Distributed data analytics platform for wide-area synchrophasor measurement systems," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 2397-2405, Sept. 2016.
• Can Huang, Jun Mei, Qiangsheng Bu, and Lin Su, "FPGA-based adaptive phase-shift compensation method for electronic instrument transformers" Electric Power Components and Systems, vol. 45 , no. 7, pp. 774-784, April, 2017.
• Can Huang, Yao Xu, Chad Harley, Drew Masters, and Fangxing Li, "LabVIEW FPGA based electromagnetic transient simulator using nodal analysis methods and state-space analysis methods," in Proc. IEEE Electric Utility Deregulation and Restructuring and Power Technologies Conference, pp. 1-5, 2015.
• Can Huang, Fangxing Li, and Zhiqiang Jin, "Maximum power point tracking strategy for large-scale wind generation systems considering wind turbine dynamics," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 2530-2539, Apr. 2015.
• Can Huang, Fangxing Li, Tao Ding, Zhiqiang Jin, and Xiao Ma, "Second-order cone programming-based optimal control strategy for wind energy conversion systems over complete operating regions," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 6, no.1, pp. 263-271, Jan. 2015.
• Yao Xu, Fangxing Li, Zhiqiang Jin, and Can Huang, “Flatness-based adaptive control (FBAC) for STATCOM,” Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 122, pp. 76-85, May 2015.
• Zhi Chen, Liang Min, Can Huang, and Wenjuan Zhang, "Demand-side energy management under emergency conditions," in Proc. IEEE PES General Meeting, pp. 1-5, 2018.
• Yao Xu, Can Huang, Fangxing Li, Xue Li, and Qinran Hu, "Gain tuning control strategy for DFIG-based wind farms," in Proc. IEEE PES General Meeting, pp. 1-5, 2017.
• Jiahui Guo, Shutang You, Can Huang, Hesen Liu, Jidong Chai, Ling Wu, Dao Zhou, Yilu Liu, and Jim Glass, "An ensemble photovoltaic power forecasting model through statistical learning of historical weather and solar irradiation dataset," in Proc. IEEE PES General Meeting, pp. 1-5, 2016.