- Thin film growth and residual stress development
- High power impulse magnetron sputtering (HiPIMS)
- Advanced materials processing and characterization
Ph.D., Engineering, Brown University, 2018
M.S., Engineering, Brown University, 2012
B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
- A.M. Engwall, S.J. Shin, J. Bae, Y.M. Wang, Enhanced properties of tungsten films by high-power impulse magnetron sputtering, Surf. Coat. Technol. (2019).
- E. Chason, A.M. Engwall, Z. Rao, T. Nishimura, Kinetic model for thin film stress including the effect of grain growth, J. Appl. Phys. 123, 185305 (2018).
- A.M. Engwall, Z. Rao, E. Chason, Residual Stress in Electrodeposited Cu Thin Films: Understanding the Combined Effects of Growth Rate and Grain Size, J. Electrochem. Soc. 164, D828 (2017).
- A.M. Engwall, Z. Rao, E. Chason, Origins of residual stress in thin films: Interaction between microstructure and growth kinetics, Mater. Des. 110, 616 (2016).
- E. Chason, A.M. Engwall, Relating residual stress to thin film growth processes via a kinetic model and real-time experiments, Thin Solid Films 596, 2 (2015).
- E. Chason, A.M. Engwall, C. Miller, C.-H. Chen, A. Bhandari, S. Soni, S. Hearne, L. Freund, B. Sheldon, Stress evolution during growth of 1-D island arrays: Kinetics and length scaling, Scripta Mater. 97, 33 (2015).
- E. Chason, J. Shin, C.-H. Chen, A.M. Engwall, C. Miller, S. Hearne, L. Freund, Growth of patterned island arrays to identify origins of thin film stress, J. Appl. Phys. 115, 123519 (2014).
- William N. Findley Award, Brown University School of Engineering, 2017
- Brown University Graduate Fellowship, 2011