TitleDeputy Group Leader, Laser Material Interaction Science
I currently lead a strategic initiative to additively manufacture optics that contain functional gradients in material properties. Optics of interest include gain media, gradient index optics, and lightweight mirrors.
I also study colloidal and interfacial phenomenon as they pertain to optical polishing and optical materials. For example, I investigate methods to prevent particle agglomeration in polishing slurries and study particle-surface interactions to better understand how to reduce adsorption onto precision optics. In addition, I work to develop and improve manufacturing and assembly processes for specialty optics for a variety of laser projects.
In previous work at the National Ignition Facility, I gained experience in the growth of microscale, single-crystalline deuterium-tritium fuel layers for inertial confinement fusion ignition experiments and experience in crystal growth process for producing large, potassium dihydrogen phosphate crystals used as optics.
- R. Dylla-Spears, T. Baumann, E. Duoss, J. Kuntz, R. Miles, D. Nguyen, C. Spadaccini, T. Suratwala, T. Yee, C. Zhu, C. Meyers. IL-13082, "Preparing optical glass components with custom-tailored composition profiles," June 2016.
- R Dylla-Spears, M Feit, P Miller, W Steele, T Suratwala, L Wong. IL-12647, "Method for preventing agglomeration of charged colloids without loss of surface activity," October 2012.
- T Suratwala, W Steele, M Feit, R DesJardin, D Mason, R Dylla-Spears, L Wong, P Miller, P Geraghty, J Bude. "Apparatus and method for convergent, initial surface independent, single iteration, and rogue particle-'free' polishing of flats and spheres," December 2010.
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2009
B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2000
B.A., Liberal Arts / Plan II, University of Texas at Austin, 2000
- D.T. Nguyen, C. Meyers, T.D. Yee, N.A. Dudukovic, J.F. Destino, C. Zhu, E.B. Duoss, T.F. Baumann, T. Suratwala, J. Smay, R. Dylla-Spears, “3D Printed Transparent Glass,” Adv. Mater., 2017, accepted for publication 3/23/17.
- T. Suratwala, W. Steele, M. Feit, N. Shen, L. Wong, R. Dylla-Spears, R. Desjardin, S. Elhadj, P. Miller, “Relationship between surface –roughness and interface slurry particle spatial distribution during glass polishing,” J. Amer. Ceramics Soc., 2017, DOI: 10.1111/jace.14820
- R. Dylla-Spears, L. Wong, N. Shen, W. Steele, J. Menapace, P. Miller, M. Feit, T. Suratwala, “Adsorption of silica colloids onto like-charged silica surfaces of different roughness,” Coll. Surf. A, 520, 85-96, 2017, DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfa.2017.01.042
- N. Shen, T. Suratwala, W. Steele, L. Wong, M.D. Feit, P.E. Miller, R. Dylla-Spears, R. Desjardin, "Nanoscratching of Optical Glass Surfaces Near the Elastic-Plastic Load Boundary to Mimic the Mechanics of Polishing Particles," J. Amer. Ceramics Soc., 99, 1477-1484, 2016, DOI: 10.1111/jace.14083
- S. J. Shin, L.A. Zepeda-Ruiz, J.R.I. Lee, S.H. Baxamusa, R. Dylla-Spears, T. Suratwala, B.J. Kozioziemski, "Supercooling of Hydrogen on Template Materials to Deterministically Seed Ignition-Quality Solid Fuel Layers," Fusion Sci. & Tech., 70, 184-190, 2016.
- J. D. Sater, F. Espinosa-Loza, B. Kozioziemski, E. R. Mapoles, R. Dylla-Spears, J. W. Pipes, C. F. Walters, Technique for Forming Solid D2 and D-T Layers for Shock Timing Experiments at the National Ignition Facility, Fusion Sci. & Tech., 70, 191-195, 2016.
- T. Suratwala, R. Steele, L. Wong, M. Feit, P. Miller, R. Dylla-Spears, N. Shen, R. Desjardin, "Chemistry and Formation of the Bielby Layer During Polishing of Fused Silica Glass," Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 98, 2395-2402, 2015.
- T. Suratwala, R. Steele, M. Feit, R. Dylla-Spears, R. Desjardin, D. Mason, L. Wong, P. Geraghty, P. Miller, N. Shen, "Convergent Polishing: A Simple, Rapid, Full Aperture Polishing Process of High Quality Optical Flats & Spheres," Journal of Visualized Experiments 94, e51965, doi: 10.3791/51965 , 2014.
- R. Dylla-Spears, L. Wong, "Charged micelle halo mechanism for agglomeration reduction in metal oxide particle based polishing slurries," Coll. Surf. A, 447, 32-43, 2014.
- S. Baxamusa, J. Field, R. Dylla-Spears, B. Kozioziemski, T. Suratwala, J. Sater, "Effects of self-heating and phase change on the thermal profile of hydrogen isotopes in confined geometries," J. Appl. Phys. 115, 124901, 2014, DOI: 10.1053/1.4867781
- T. Suratwala, M. Feit, W. Steele, L. Wong, N. Shen, R. Dylla-Spears, R. Desjardin, D. Mason, P. Geraghty, P. Miller, S. Baxamusa, "Microscopic Removal Function and the Relationship Between Slurry Particle Size Distribution and Workpiece Roughness During Pad Polishing," Journal of the American Ceramics Society 97, 81-91, 2014, DOI: 10.1111/jace.12631
- A. McKinnon et al. "Assembly of High-Aereal-Density Deuterium-Tritium Fuel from Indirectly Driven Cryogenic Implosions," Phys Rev Lett 108, 215005, 2012.
- R Dylla-Spears, JE Townsend, L Jen-Jacobson, LL Sohn, and SJ Muller. "Single-molecule sequence detection via microfluidic planar extensional flow at a stagnation point." Lab on a Chip 10, 1543-1549, 2010, DOI: 10.1039/B926847B
- R Dylla-Spears, JE Townsend, LL Sohn, L Jen-Jacobson, and SJ Muller. "Fluorescent marker for direct observation of specific dsDNA sequences." Analytical Chemistry 81, 10049-10054, 2009, DOI 10.1021/ac9019895