TitleGroup Leader, Microbiology/Immunology
My research focuses on leveraging metagenomics-based techniques for characterizing human pathogens and microbiomes. I currently lead research applying microbiome analytics and data science toward improving care for military service members, including combat-injured patients.
I am involved in a range of additional bio-detection efforts, including identification of microbial signatures in metagenomic data, next-generation techniques for detection of antimicrobial resistance and virulence, analysis of microorganisms in the environment and atmosphere, and assessment of microbial content on the International Space Station.
Postdoctoral research, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (2011-2014)
Ph.D. Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2011)
B.S. Biochemistry, Calvin College (2005)
- Vila AR, Briceno C, McAloose D, Seimon TA…Be NA (8th), et al. 2019. Putative parapoxvirus-associated foot disease in the endangered huemul deer (Hippocamelus bisulcus) in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park, Chile. PLoS One. In press.
- Thissen JB, Be NA, McLoughlin K, Gardner S, et al. 2019. Axiom Microbiome Array, the next generation microarray for high-throughput pathogen and microbiome analysis. PLoS One. Feb 8, 14(2):e0212045.
- Malfatti MA, Enright HA, Be NA, Kuhn EA, et al. 2017. The biodistribution and pharmacokinetics of the oxime acetylcholinesterase reactivator RS194B in guinea pigs. Chem Biol Interact. Nov 1, 277:159-167.
- Be NA, Avila-Herrera A, Allen JE, Singh N, et al. 2017. Whole metagenome profiles of particulates collected from the International Space Station. Microbiome. Jul 17, 5(1):81.
- Bennion BJ†, Be NA†, McNerney MW, Lao V, et al. 2017. Predicting a Drug's Membrane Permeability: A Computational Model Validated With In Vitro Permeability Assay Data. J Phys Chem B. May 25, 121(20):5228-5237. †Co-first author
- Gardner SN, McLoughlin K, Be NA, Allen J, et al. 2016. Characterization of Genetic Variability of Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis Viruses. PLoS One. 11(4):e0152604.
- Be NA, Thissen JB, Fofanov VY, Allen JE, et al. 2015. Metagenomic analysis of the airborne environment in urban spaces. Microb Ecol. 69(2):346-55.
- Be NA, Allen JE, Brown TS, Gardner SN, et al. 2014. Microbial profiling of combat wound infection through detection microarray and next-generation sequencing. J Clin Microbiol. 52(7):2583-94.
- Chromy BA, Eldridge A, Forsberg J, Brown TS…Be NA (7th)…et al. 2013. Wound outcome in combat injuries is associated with a unique set of protein biomarkers. J Transl Med. 11(1):281.
- Be NA, Thissen JB, Gardner SN, McLoughlin KS, et al. 2013. Detection of Bacillus anthracis DNA in complex soil and air samples using next-generation sequencing. PLoS One. 8(9):e73455.
- Skerry C, Pokkali S, Pinn M, Be NA, et al. 2013. Vaccination with Recombinant Mycobacterium tuberculosis PknD Attenuates Bacterial Dissemination to the Brain in Guinea Pigs. PLoS One. 8(6):e66310.
- Be NA, Bishai WR, Jain SK. 2012. Role of Mycobacterium tuberculosis pknD in the pathogenesis of central nervous system tuberculosis. BMC Microbiol. 12(1):7. [Designated Highly Accessed article]
- Be NA, Klinkenberg LG, Bishai WR, Karakousis PC, et al. 2011. Strain-dependent CNS dissemination in guinea pigs after Mycobacterium tuberculosis aerosol challenge. Tuberculosis. 91(5):386-9.
- Dutta NK, Mehra S, Didier PJ, Roy CJ…Be NA (8th)…et al. 2010. Genetic requirements for the survival of tubercle bacilli in primates. J Infect Dis. 201(11):1743-52.
- Davis SL, Be NA, Lamichhane G, Nimmagadda S, et al. 2009. Bacterial thymidine kinase as a non-invasive imaging reporter for Mycobacterium tuberculosis in live animals. PLoS One. 4(7):e6297.
- Be NA, Kim KS, Bishai WR, Jain SK. 2009. Pathogenesis of central nervous system tuberculosis. Curr Mol Med. 9(2):94-99.
- Be NA, Lamichhane G, Grosset J, Tyagi S, et al. 2008. Murine model to study invasion and survival of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the central nervous system. J Infect Dis. 198:1520-1528.