Deepak Rajan is an Operations Research expert in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC). His research broadly lies in the areas of computational optimization and integer programming, and more specifically in applying such techniques in solving large-scale problems. Recently, Deepak has been working on optimization problems that involve uncertainty in the energy area (power generation, in particular). He has also worked on a variety of optimization problems in other domains, including network design and graph data mining.
Deepak earned his M.S. and Ph.D. in Operations Research from the University of California at Berkeley. He also holds a B.Tech. from the Indian Institute of Technology at Madras, with a major in Mechanical Engineering. Following graduate school, Deepak completed a post-doctoral year at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, and then worked as a Research Staff Member at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center since 2005. At IBM Research, Deepak worked on a variety of optimization problems in scientific distributed computing, power-aware microprocessor scheduling, and data management. He joined CASC in 2011 as a Computer Scientist.
Since 2013, Deepak has also been a lecturer at the Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research at UC Berkeley, teaching (annually) an advanced Ph.D. level course on Computational Optimization.
- Parriani, T., Cong, G., Meyers, C., Rajan, D. "An Efficient Approach for Solving Large Stochastic Unit Commitment Problems Arising in a California ISO Planning Model." IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2014.
- Damci-Kurt, P., Küçükyavuz, S., Rajan, D., Atamtürk, A. "A Polyhedral Study of Ramping in Unit Commitment." Research Report BCOL.13.02 IEOR, University of California-Berkeley, 2013.
- Goez, J., Luedtke, L., Rajan, D., Kalagnanam, J. "Stochastic Unit Commitment." IBM Research Report RC24713, 2008.
- Rajan, D., Takriti, S. "Minimum up/down polytopes of the unit commitment problem with start-up costs." IBM Research Report RC23628, 2005.
- Lindstrom, P., Rajan, D. "Optimal Hierarchical Layouts for Cache-Oblivious Search Trees." IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), 616-627, 2014.
- Lucchese, C., Vlachos, M., Rajan, D., Yu, P. S. "Rights protection of trajectory datasets with nearest-neighbor preservation." VLDB Journal 19(4), 531-556, 2010.
- Lucchese, C., Vlachos, M., Rajan, D., Yu, P. S. "Rights Protection of Multidimensional Time-Series Datasets with Neighborhood Preservation." ICDE 2008, 1349-1351.
- Vlachos, M., Lucchese, C., Rajan, D., Yu, P. S. "Ownership Protection of Shape Datasets with Geodesic Distance Preservation." EDBT 2008, 276-286.
- Rajan, D., Yu, P. S. "Discovering partial orders in binary data." ICDM 2006, 510-521.
- Khandekar, R., Hildrum, K., Rajan, D., Wolf, J. "Scheduling with Setup Costs and Monotone Penalties." FSTTCS 2012, 185-198.
- Wolf, J., Balmin, A., Rajan, D., Hildrum, K., Khandekar, R., Parekh, S., Wu, K.-L., Vernica, R. "On the optimization of schedules for MapReduce workloads in the presence of shared scans." VLDB Journal, 21(5), 589-609, 2012.
- Wolf, J., Balmin, A., Rajan, D., Hildrum, K., Khandekar, R., Parekh, S., Wu, K.-L., Vernica, R. "CIRCUMFLEX: A scheduling optimizer for MapReduce workloads with shared scans." Operating Systems Review, 46, 26-32, 2012.
- Wolf, J. L., Rajan, D., Hildrum, K., Khandekar, R., Kumar, V., Parekh, S., Wu, K.-L., Balmin, A. "FLEX: A Slot Allocation Scheduling Optimizer for MapReduce Workloads." Middleware 2010, 1-20.
- Schares, L., Zhang, X. J., Wagle, R., Rajan, D., Selo, P., Chang, S.-P., Giles, J., Hildrum, K., Kuchta, D., Wolf, J., Schenfeld, E. "A Reconfigurable Interconnect Fabric with Optical Circuit Switch and Software Optimizer for Stream Computing System." OFC/NFOEC Technical Conference 2009.
- Parekh, S., Hildrum, K., Rajan, D., Wolf, J. L., Wu, K.-L. "Characterizing, constructing and managing resource usage profiles of system S applications: challenges and experience." CIKM 2009, 1177-1186.
- Wolf, J. L., Bansal, N., Hildrum, K., Parekh, S., Rajan, D., Wagle, R., Wu, K.-L. "Job Admission and Resource Allocation in Distributed Streaming Systems." JSSPP 2009, 169-189.
- Wolf, J. L., Bansal, N., Hildrum, K., Parekh, S., Rajan, D., Wagle, R., Wu, K.-L., Fleischer, L. "SODA: An Optimizing Scheduler for Large-Scale Stream-Based Distributed Computer Systems." Middleware 2008, 306-325.
- Rajan, D., Yu, P. S. "Temperature-aware scheduling: When is system-throttling good enough?" WAIM 2008, 397-404.
- Rajan, D., Yu, P. S. "On temperature-aware scheduling for single-processor systems." HiPC 2007, LNCS 4873, 342-355.
- Atamtürk, A., Rajan, D. "Partition inequalities for capacitated survivable network design based on directed p-cycles." Discrete Optimization, 5, 415-433, 2008.
- Rajan, D., Atamtürk, A. "A directed cycle based column-and-cut generation method for capacitated survivable network design." Networks, 43, 201-211, 2004.
- Rajan, D. "Designing capacitated survivable networks: Polyhedral analysis and algorithms." PhD thesis, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, 2004.
- Atamtürk, A., Rajan, D. "Valid Inequalities for Mixed-Integer Knapsack from Two-Integer Variable Restrictions." Research Report BCOL.04.02, IEOR, University of California-Berkeley. 2004.
- Atamtürk, A., Rajan, D. "On splittable and unsplittable flow capacitated network-design arc-set polyhedra." Mathematical Programming, 92, 315-333, 2002.
- Rajan, D., Atamtürk, A. "Survivable network design : Routing of flows and slacks." Chapter in Telecommunications Network Design and Management, 65-81, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.
- Atamtürk, A., Rajan, D. "A new model for designing survivable networks." Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Telecommunication Systems Modeling and Analysis (ICTSM10), 2002.
- Khandekar, R., Hildrum, K., Parekh, S., Rajan, D., Wolf, J. L., Wu, K.-L., Andrade, H., Gedik, B. "COLA: Optimizing Stream Processing Applications via Graph Partitioning." Middleware 2009, 308-327.
- Khandekar, R., Hildrum, K., Parekh, S., Rajan, D., Sethuraman, J., Wolf, J. L. "Bounded Size Graph Clustering with Applications to Stream Processing." FSTTCS 2009, 275-286.
- Akoglu, L., Khandekar, R., Kumar, V., Parthasarathy, S., Rajan, D., Wu, K.-L. "Fast Nearest Neighbor Search on Large Time-Evolving Graphs." ECML/PKDD 2014, 17-33.
- Tan, Y., Nguyen, H., Shen, Z., Gu, X., Venkatramani, C., Rajan, D. "PREPARE: Predictive Performance Anomaly Prevention for Virtualized Cloud Systems." ICDCS 2012, 285-294.
- Conferences: European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA), International Conference on Contemporary Computing (IC3), International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization (IPCO).
- Journals: Computational Optimization and Applications, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms, INFORMS Journal of Computing, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Mathematical Programming, Management Science, Networks, Networks and Spatial Economics, International Journal of Management Science, Optimization, Operations Research, Theoretical Computer Science, ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems.
- Memberships: Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS).